After going into great detail to explain the portion control container system for the 21 day fix, I decided to do a review on the full program. It an excellent program for learning about what a proper portion size is and the workouts are fantastic. The program contains 7 different workouts that focus on cardio, strength-training and flexibility. You will never get bored as you do a different workout video each day of the week! You will follow the program for 3 weeks, but you can repeat as often as needed until you get into your best shape.
My 21 Day Fix Review:
First of all, there are two different kit options you can invest in. The basic kit contains the essentials you need to get started. It has the full container set, workout calendars and the 7 workouts on DVD. The deluxe kit has some extra workouts and an extra set of portion containers. Each workout is between 28-34 minutes which makes it easy to do on a daily basis. Let’s break down the workouts one by one.
The 7 Daily Workouts Included in the 21 Day Fix Base Kit:
- Total Body Cardio Fix
- This workout combines both cardio and strength training. You will do a series of exercises that feature moves like running on the spot while combining moves using dumbbells. This will get your heart rate up by using the weights and also increase your strength. It’s my favorite of all the workout videos.
- Calorie Burn: Around 250 calories per workout
- Upper Fix
- The second workout of the series targets your entire upper body. That means you’ll do a variety of strength-training moves to work your shoulders, biceps, triceps and core. Some of the routines will require using weights. Others will rely on your body strength (such as push-ups and planks)
- Calorie Burn: Around 180 calories per workout
- Lower Fix
- On the third day, you’ll focus on working your lower body. This includes your butt, upper thighs and calves. You’ll do a variety of sculpting moves using your body strength and weights combined. For example, you’ll do weighted lunges and squats.
- Calorie Burn: Approximately 200 calories
- Pilates Fix
- This will be a bit of a rest compared to the first three days. But it will help you build strength in your core and also stretch out your body. You will become more nimble and flexible as a result. This will make your other workouts easier to complete.
- Cardio Fix
- This is the highest calorie burning workout of the series. You’ll do high intensity cardio moves throughout like burpees and your heart rate will climb high. It’s my go-to workout if I have an “off” day and ate too much at an event or party!
- Calorie Burn: Around 350 calories
- Dirty 30
- This workout is very similar to Total Body Cardio Fix as it combines both cardio with strength training. It will help you work the entire body
- Calorie Burn: Around 300 calories
- Yoga Fix
- This is the final workout of the week. You’ll do it on your “rest day” and make sure you don’t skip it! It’s important to stretch out your body after working it so hard throughout the week.
Is This Workout Program For Me?
I would say that the ideal candidate to try the 21 day fix is any one who is at a beginner or intermediate level in fitness and health. The program teaches both nutrition and exercise which are the two key components of weight loss. Without a healthy diet, you won’t lose weight. And without exercise and strength-training, you won’t get lean or build muscle.
If you are an advanced level exerciser, you might find that these workouts are too easy. They are a challenge for me (and I have been exercising for years and years). However, if you are used to running marathons and doing hour and a half workouts at a time, it might be too easy. The workouts are short – around 30 minutes in length on average. So this is perfect for a person who has a busy schedule and can’t afford an hour long session at the gym. I am one of those people with little free time. This why I wrote this review after being thrilled with the workouts!
My favorite part about the program is the portion control container set included in your package. This is because it makes healthy eating fun and simple. I hate calorie or points counting as it becomes monotonous and tiresome. But this guide teaches you about what a perfect portion size looks like. And you need to eat a certain amount of each container per day to meet your goal.
The 21 Day Fix Nutrition Guide
The first step to following this program is figuring out how many calories you need to eat to lose between 1-2 pounds per week. Most women will fall into either the 1200-1499 calorie bracket or the 1500-1799 calorie bracket. Men will fall into the 1800-2099 or 2100-2300 bracket.
Here is the calculator formula to determine your needs:
- Multiply your weight in pounds x 11 = Caloric Base (How Many Calories You Burn Without Extra Exercise)
- Example: 165 lbs x 11 = 1815 calories
- Caloric Base + 300 (How many calories you burn doing the 21 day fix) = Your total calorie need for the day
- 1815 calories + 300 = 2115 calories
- Caloric Needs – (500-1000) = Calorie Daily Target. If you want to lose 1 pound per week, subtract 500 calories per day. If your goal is 1.5-2 pounds per week, subtract 750-1000 calories.
- 2115 – 750 = 1365 Calorie Daily Target
Note: Do NOT eat under 1200 calories per day. If your target is under 1200 after doing the formula, stick to the 1200-1499 calorie bracket. Eating any less than this will hinder your weight loss efforts.
The Eating Plan and Nutrition Guide
After determining your calorie bracket using the formula above, you will know which calorie bracket you fall into. Each bracket allows you to eat a certain number of portion control containers.
In your 21 day fix package, you’ll receive a set of 7 containers:
- The Green container stands for vegetables
- Such as bell peppers, carrots, celery sticks, squash, cucumber, spinach and broccoli
- The Purple container is for fruits
- Including grapes, bananas, melon, apples, oranges, berries and mango
- The Red container is for proteins
- You can have eggs, egg whites, tofu, fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and low-fat protein powder
- The Yellow container is for carbohydrates
- You can enjoy wholewheat bread, rice or pasta, oatmeal, legumes, and white or sweet potatoes
- The Blue container is for healthy fats and cheeses
- You can eat hummus, nuts in small quantities, guacamole, mozzarella, Parmesan, feta or cheddar cheese
- The Orange container is for seeds or olive oil based salad dressings
- You can have pumpkin, sunflower or sesame seeds or make a oil/vinaigrette style salad dressing
You will get the full eating plan included with your 21 day fix base kit package including the full Fix approved food list and sample meal plans.
The Calorie Brackets for the 21 Day Fix
After doing the formula, you’ll know which bracket you’ll fit in. The plus side of this program is that you don’t need to calorie count, so the containers give an approximate estimate of how many calories you’ll consume each day. Which is why it will range between 300 calories for each bracket.
1200-1499 Caloric Bracket
If you fall under this bracket, you’ll get to eat 3 green containers, 2 purple containers, 2 yellow containers, 4 red containers, 1 blue and 1 orange container and 2 teaspoons of oils.
1500-1700 Caloric Bracket
In this bracket you’ll eat the same as the bracket above except 1 extra green, purple and yellow container. And an additional 2 teaspoons of oils.
Do I Need Any Equipment for This Program?
The package you’ll receive will include nearly everything you need to get started. However, you’ll need a set of weighs or dumbbells and a good quality yoga or exercise mat.
If you’re a beginner, I recommend getting a set of dumbbells that range from 3-8 pounds.
If you’re intermediate or advanced level, get a set between 5-12 pounds.
My Overall Opinion on the 21 Day Fix Program:
In summary, I think that this program is essential for anyone starting out or wanting to lose weight in under a month. Most exercise programs leave you in the dark when it comes to nutrition. But this program offers you a step by step plan of weight loss combining both diet and exercise. Sometimes I will do two workouts in one day if I have extra energy because the workouts are quite short. But after doing 6 weeks worth of the program, I lost 15 pounds. I wasn’t hungry while following the eating plan and got through every workout. I’d highly recommend this program if you are considering losing weight and wanting to get in shape. I hope you enjoyed my 21 day fix review and it has helped make your decision easier!