Unless you’ve been living under a rock the past year, it’s most likely that you’ve heard about the 21 day fix program. This exercise program combines both athletic cardio and strength-training based workouts with a complete and thorough nutrition plan that uses portion control containers to help you lose weight without having to count calories. The system is easy to follow and doesn’t require any tedious counting. All you need to do is use the containers and determine how many containers you should have each day. Our complete containers guide will help you through the process and give you the formula for figuring out which calorie bracket you fall under!
Each container varies in size and color according to the 5 different food groups. As you know, the amount of vegetables you eat each day should be a larger portion size than the amount of carbohydrates or fats. The problem is that our portion sizes have become out of control. Everything is served large or super-sized and the average meal in a restaurant contains enough calories for the entire day. That is what is so great about the 21 day fix nutrition component – it teaches you how to eat healthily and how a real dinner plate should look.
- 1 What are the 21 Day Fix Colored Containers?
- 2 21 Day Fix Container Sizes and Measurement Equivalents
- 3 What is the Formula for Determining my Calorie Bracket?
What are the 21 Day Fix Colored Containers?
- Green Container for Vegetables including lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, spinach, squash, onions and kale
- Purple Container for Fruits like apples, watermelon, bananas, oranges, grapes, pears, and mango
- Red Container for Protein sources such as skinless chicken or turkey, lean beef, fish, eggs, yogurt or tofu
- Yellow Container for Carbohydrates including whole grain bread, oats, whole wheat pasta, potatoes, cereal, yams and lentils
- Blue Container for Fats and Cheeses such as Almonds, Peanuts, Hummus, Avocado, Feta or Goat’s Cheese, Cheddar and Mozzarella
- Orange Containers for Seeds and Dressings including Pumpkin, Sesame and Sunflower seeds, olives, peanuts, flax seed and natural coconut
You’ll also get to have a certain number of “teaspoons” each day of various oils or nut butters such as olive oil, flax seed oil, peanut or almond butter.
Where Can I Get the Containers?
If you don’t already own the 21 day fix program, you get order it on Amazon here and it comes with the full 7 piece set. However, if you want the containers only, there are a variety of affordable options and container “knock off” sets that offer the same set as the official ones. Here are our favorites:
The Official 7 Piece Portion Control Set from Beachbody
If you are looking for the exact same version you’ll get in the 21 day fix program, then this is it! This is the official 7 piece container set from Beachbody with the exact container sizes required for the nutrition plan.
These containers are both microwave and dishwasher safe. I recommend getting a couple sets either of the official ones or the ones below. It is a pain to have to keep rewashing them for use at each meal.
Smart You 7 Piece Kit
This is one of the most popular knock off sets available on Amazon. It also comes with an e-book guide to help you use the containers and they are also both dishwasher and microwave safe. This one is also leak proof and comes with a tape measure to help track how many inches you have lost .
You can either order the 7 piece set or the 14 piece set if you prefer to have an extra set of containers. This is also great if you plan on doing the program with another member of your family.
Smart You Deluxe 14 piece Container Kit
This set comes with fourteen portion control containers. Having extras is great because you don’t have to worry about washing each container after every use. After all, you’ll be using several containers throughout the day. You will also get a free recipe e-book available after purchase. You will also get a free tape measure to help you track how many inches you lose. Additionally, they will send you a variety of tally sheets you can print off to complement the program. This is definitely a great value for a fraction of the price of the Official containers.
Trained Portion Control and Carry Bag Kit
This is a newer option available on Amazon. Not only does it come with the 7 color containers, but you’ll get a hot and cold carry bag with it. This is great for packing the containers on the go to school or work. The bag includes a carry strap as well which you can detach if you prefer.
Additionally, the manufacturer will email you a day planner and 21 day fix recipe e-book after you place your order. So if you’d prefer a lunch bag to measuring spoons, this is the kit you should invest in!
21 Day Fix Container Sizes and Measurement Equivalents
|Container Color||Size||Food Group||Examples|
|Green||1 cup||Vegetables||Tomatoes, Lettuce, Carrots, Broccoli,
Peppers, Green Beans, Kale
|Purple||1 cup||Fruit||Berries, Grapes, Pineapple, Melon, Pears, Mango|
|Red||3/4 cup||Protein||Skinless chicken, lean beef, fish, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs|
|Yellow||1/2 cup||Carbohydrates||Oatmeal, whole wheat pasta or rice, potatoes, sweet corn, chickpeas|
|Blue||1/3 cup||Fats and Cheeses||Nuts, Low-Fat Cheese, Avocado|
|Orange||2 Tbsp||Seeds and Salad Dressings||Raw seeds (sunflower, sesame, etc), Oil-based vinaigrettes, Olives|
The above table is just an idea of what each container is the equivalent of in US measurements. This will help you if you decide to DIY with your own measurements or scales at home. The green and purple containers are between 1 cup and 1.25 cups. The best way to follow this program is use the official containers or one of the alternative versions for better accuracy.
21 day fix Tally Sheets according to your Calorie Bracket:
Now you are ready to select the appropriate bracket for you. Of course, in using containers like this, the calorie bracket varies because the calorie amount will vary according to what you are eating each day. For example, a serving of lean beef has more calories than a serving of fish. This way you have some leniency and don’t need to count calories but will more or less be eating between 1200-1499 calories per day or higher if that is your appropriate bracket.
If you have done the above formula, you can use the worksheets found at this Etsy shop to help you track your daily calories easily. You can print off several copies and use them on a weekly basis or you can laminate one printed worksheet and use a dry erase marker and continue to wipe and reuse the worksheets. These bundle packs also include a menu planner and results tracker!
In this bracket, you’ll get to eat the following servings:
- 4 servings of vegetables (green container)
- 2 servings of fruit (purple container)
- 2 servings of carbohydrates (yellow container)
- 4 servings of protein (red container)
- 1 serving of fat/cheese (blue container)
- 1 serving of seeds/dressings (orange container)
- 2 teaspoons of oil/nut butters
1500-1799 Calorie Tally Sheets
- 4 servings of vegetables (green)
- 3 servings of fruit (purple)
- 3 servings of carbohydrates (yellow)
- 4 servings of protein (red)
- 1 serving of fat/cheese (blue)
- 1 serving of seeds/dressings (orange)
- 4 teaspoons of oil/nut butters
Remember that it is also crucial to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated. It might also take some time getting adjusted to your new diet and you might feel a little hungry at first. Therefore, drinking water will help you feel full and not uncomfortable in between meals and snacks.
You can get the 1800-2099 calorie bracket tally sheets by clicking here or the 2100-2300 calorie diet plan by going here!
What is the Formula for Determining my Calorie Bracket?
There are four different calorie brackets you might fall under when doing this program. But it is a myth to think that all women must eat only 1200 calories per day in order to lose weight. Imagine a woman who is 5 feet tall besides a woman who is 6 feet tall. They obviously vary in size and do NOT require the same amount of calories to function. Therefore it is crucial to use our weight/current size within the formula to determine the right calorie bracket for you and follow the portion control guidelines for the best weight loss results possible.
Follow this formula as directed below and you won’t have any issues losing weight. If you are used to consuming 3,000 plus calories per day, do not restrict yourself to 1200 – you need to let your body get accustomed to your new lower calorie diet. Studies show that monitoring portion sizes can greatly help in your weight loss efforts.
The 21 Day Fix Calorie Calculator Formula:
- Multiply your current weight in pounds by 11 = Calorie Base
- For example: 200 pounds x 11 = 2,200 (your base)
- Baseline + 300 calories (the amount of calories you burn per 21 day fix workout, or adjust according to whatever exercise you are doing)
- For example: 2,200 + 300 = 2,500 – This number (2500) equals how many calories your body needs per day to maintain your current weight, so you need to eat LESS than that in order to lose weight
- This will vary according to how many pounds you want to lose per week. We do not recommend attempting to lose more than 2 pounds a week.
- 2,500 – 1000 (Caloric deficit to lose 2 pounds per week) = 1500 as your calorie target each day
- 2,500 – 750 (The deficit required to lose 1.5 pounds per week) = 1750 calories per day
After doing this calculation, you are ready to start using the 21 day fix containers providing you have the appropriate logging or tally sheets for your bracket!
The above formula will help you get started and absolutely help you get results, but we recommend investing in the color containers for greater accuracy. There are several knock-off versions that are the same size as the original containers but will save you money, or you can invest in the original ones from Beachbody. Let us know how your weight loss progress goes with this nutrition plan!