In a previous article, I explained in-depth about how the portion control containers diet made popular with the 21 day fix program is a great way to help you lose weight. In this post, I will explain the different 21 day fix food list and shopping items you’ll need to follow the program. The idea behind the color coded system is that you have 7 different containers. Each of which represent a different food group. Depending on your body type, gender and weight loss goals, you will require a certain number of each container per group. By eating within your allowed container amount, you will not go over your portion limit for the day.
But that leads a lot of confusion about what types of foods you CAN eat. Which is why I have developed this list that easy to follow and will give you some ideas of the types of foods you can enjoy throughout the day.
21 Day Dix Grocery Items by Container Color:
Green Container List (Vegetables)
- Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, other Dark Leafy Greens
- Carrots, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Celery
- Cauliflower, Green beans, Asparagus, Snow peas
- Eggplant, Zucchini
Typically you will need to have between 3-5 servings of vegetables per day depending on your caloric bracket.
Purple Container List (Fruits)
- Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Cranberries
- Apples, Clementines, Oranges, Pears, Bananas, Grapes
- Plums, Peaches, Apricots, Figs
- Watermelon, Melon, Cantaloupe, Mango
Depending on what bracket you fall into, you will likely enjoy between 2-4 servings of fruits per day.
Red Container (Protein)
- Lean beef, lean pork or ham, turkey bacon
- Skinless chicken breast or turkey
- Fish, tuna, salmon (water-packed)
- Cottage cheese, Plain Yogurt, Greek Yogurt
- Eggs (2 eggs = 1 red container), egg whites, tofu
The 21 day fix diet suggests you eat lower carbs and a diet higher in protein. Generally you’ll have between 4-6 protein servings per day.
Yellow Container (Carbohydrates)
- Oatmeal, Oats
- Whole wheat bread (1 slice = 1 yellow container)
- High fiber cereal
- Whole-grain pasta
- Brown rice
- Chickpeas, beans and other legumes
When you first see the yellow container, you’ll be surprised by how small it is. This just shows you how we massively over-eat portions of rice and pasta. We only need a small amount of carbs at each meal to get us through the day and provide us with enough energy. Otherwise the carbs will convert to sugar and eventually, added fat on your body.
The average person will eat 2-5 servings of carbohydrates per day on this diet.
Blue Container (Healthy Fats and Cheese)
- Nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios, Peanuts, Walnuts, Hazelnuts)
- Cheese – Mozzarella, Cheddar, Feta, Swiss
With this diet, you’ll enjoy one serving of healthy fats and cheese per day. Sometimes I am sneaky and have two a day but don’t exceed that because healthy fats (while good for you) are high in calories!
Orange Container (Seeds and Light Salad Dressings)
- Vinagrette based salad dressings (Zesty Italian, Balsamic, etc)
- Seeds (Sunflower, Pumpkin, Sesame)
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Natural Peanut Butter
These are the 21 day fix food list items that I think are most typical and popular. Other food lists have crazy stuff like “ox” on there and the list is hard to navigate. What is on your shopping list this week?